Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cheap Clothing Online - Yay or Nay?

By Tracey

We all know the term fast fashion, and often refer to retailers like Forever 21 as, "recyclable clothing." The Forever 21 Effect is well known these days: spend pittens on trendy (or basic) styles, wear short-term, then toss (or donate!). You don't feel bad about getting rid of it, because you invested so little on it. But is sacrificing quality worth it? And with all of the online shopping as the norm, this sense of fast fashion couldn't be truer.

Have you seen all of the web sites that sell cheap clothing? I have personally purchased clothes from online fast fashion retailer, Sammy Dress. Cute, trendy and cheap, and with a click of a mouse, all mine. Too good to be true? Well, upon receiving the clothing, it proved to be way too small, and it took about a month to arrive ('cause it's from China). Furthermore, if I choose to send it back, it would take forever for any sort of a refund. I have to admit, I do love the idea of a $7.00 dress, but with all of that frustration, is it really worth it? There are other web sites that offer cheap clothing as well, like Amazon or Ebay, or even Aliexpress.  But again, I dare to ask, is the price really worth it? Without the ability to tangibly decide if I even like the fabric, I have committed myself to possibly throwing away a few dollars here, and a few dollars there. Which, at the end of the day, do add up.

Sammy Dress
Sammy Dress

Don't get me wrong, these outfits are adorable, and I understand that there are starving students who still want to look good. By all means, if you need it, buy it and SAVE money! BUT who knows how long it will last, what kind of quality it is, or if you have to return it, what the hassle might be. 
Aliexpress
Clearly there are knock offs and fakes (which is a whole 'nother issue), and sometimes fashion on a budget can be the only way to go. Just know what you are getting into. I love to shop for bargains and deals, but sometimes it really isn't worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment