Monday, June 23, 2014

"You're what the French call, 'Les Imcompetents.'"

By Emily Oberman
Home Alone
My first adult international travel experience came in my early 20's, when a couple of girlfriends and I traveled to Spain. From the moment that flight was booked, the notion of dressing like a local became my main concern when traveling abroad. "I can't bring those flip flops! I'll stick out like a sore American thumb," I would say. 

Fast forward to today, and I find myself traveling to nearby regions once again. This time, ooh la la France. So, as my departure date approaches, I am starting to compile mental post it notes of what to bring. What does one who generally likes to stand out, wear to help them blend in? 

Turns out, casual chic is all the rage. Ms. Coco Chanel was on point when she said to always take off one piece of jewelry before leaving the house. Lucky for me, I am not much of a jewelry lover. Shoes however? I would wear three pairs simultaneously if I could. 

So the French fashion lesson here is:
-dress comfortably, but not sloppily.
-dress minimally, but not mindlessly. 
-dress effortlessly, and, well effortlessly. 

Say no to:
Sweatpants
Yoga pants
Gym shoes
Denim shorts
Flip flops 

Say oui to:
Lipstick and mascara. Nothing more, nothing less. 
Stripes 
Neutrals with pops of color
Chic sneakers
Flat sandals 

And leave room in your suitcase...the best way to really immerse yourself in the fashion culture, is to shop the local gems of course! 

Polyvore

Polyvore


Shopbop



No comments:

Post a Comment